Tuesday, June 8, 2010

Communication Breakdown - Smoke Signals to Satellites


When I look at this picture of my son and friends, I wonder how this generation will communicate as adults. I remember the agony of such iconic 80's standards as: phone booths, writing thank you letters and having to ask a girl out face to face.
The ironic truth about this picure is that when I took it, the three of them were communicating to each other via their dsi's. This is amazing to me and I hope that the beauty of written and spoken word will not be something a future generation looks back at and says "Remember when..."

7 comments:

  1. It is very strange, the way technology connects us but keeps us separate at the same time. There was a story in the paper recently about the increasing number of people in Scotland who are living alone. We wrap ourselves in silence and then reach out through a keyboard. Weird.

    ReplyDelete
  2. And they call it "Social networking"

    ReplyDelete
  3. I totally agree! I will be the first to admit I love the social networking tools we have at our disposal however I also LOVE a nice pen & a piece of paper! I cannot tell you how many times I have been in the same room as my nieces & they text each other instead of speaking! I call that LAZY! Just last week I watched an interview with the man that created the very first cell phone. He said that the technology we have now is only a fragment of what is to come. Frankly that scares me!

    ReplyDelete
  4. BTW I nominated your blog for the Versatile Blogger Award!
    Cathy

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm guessing there won't be any teenage boys throwing pebbles at my daughter's bedroom window. How the devil are her dad and I going to know who is stalking her?

    ReplyDelete
  6. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Cathy, thanks for that.

    ReplyDelete