Saturday, April 30, 2011

Photography, she said.

Karma - 1 year later......

In a word.....BUSY -  that describes the life of Sausage lately, I am not complaining with the economy teetering on the brink it is damn nice to have work and it is even nicer to have work booked for the pending months. The blog has been on a wee hiatus due to the work schedule and as they say you have to make hay while the sun is shining. The following post is from April 2010, 1 year ago when karma came and kicked me in the ass and said  "Be careful what you wish for."
The gang and I have been shooting sports action for the last month and business is good we have tournaments booked for the next few months.
So here we are April 2011 do you remember your New Years resolutions?

They Call Me "Shooter"

Holy shite it's April already, time to re examine those lofty and virginal "NEW YEAR RESOLUTIONS" from way back in January.
Mulling the year 2010 and it's promises, the dear Mrs. Sausage and myself pondered the road ahead and made our list of resolutions, desirous of shedding the old us and parading the new and improved sausages for all to see.
Knowing that the standard and eternally boring goals of  "Losing weight" and "Getting into my old football shape" would be arduous and abandoned by March, I decided to aim for something from my heart. I turned to my wife and said "I have been taking photographs since time immemorial, I want to be a real photographer."
I got "The look." Those reading this blog who are married are familiar with "The look." A ball shrinking and ego dissolving glance that can change a man's path in life no matter his muscularity or hardness.
"Photography, she said, is that what you want to do?" 
It was something I have been passionate about for years, only skimming the surface of the hobby and not knowing enough to call myself a photographer. I am the clown at weddings, reunions, family dinners, bairns football games, and everywhere else with the bloody camera. I am the one who has taken all the pictures for my family, I am the one who took the picture of my wife and her brother 6 days before he passed away.
And now I want to take the hobby to the next level.
I discovered blogging last year after a family member started a Scottish travel blog and I decided to follow her. Soon after that I found "Ramblings of the Bearded One" which is Kim Ayres from Scotland, I followed his blog and his photography and was very well impressed, his writing and pics lead me to other blogs and all of that inspired me to start this sausage blog.
Fast forward to late March 2010, a man in his twilight years walked into my business asking for me. His inquiry was simple, "I have a sports photography business for sale and someone mentioned you as a potential buyer."
Holy shit, have the stars aligned or am I dreaming? I already own a sports related business and adding photography would finish the puzzle of what to do for future growth.
I  bought the company, cameras, lenses and all the stock and now I own a photography business.
So looking back to January 1st telling my wife that I wanted to be a photographer seems weird at best. When we make those ridiculous resolutions we never assume that they will actually come to fruition, this one walked through my front door and was presented to me on a silver platter. Be careful what you wish for, it may cause you to work 8 days a week.
Cheers, Sausage Fingers.

19 comments:

  1. Good for you pal. Now stop your greeting and get on with the job at hand, there's beer to be drunk the night!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice one Baj! We have thought about selling photographs here, on a smaller scale. We should talk soon!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jimmy, I am at work right now and I am already a wee bit drunk. Cheers.

    Glen, need a job? you would have to leave Edinburgh and move to glamorous town of Bunnell.
    cheers.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is so exciting! Congrats on your new venture. Will you be posting any of your photos?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congrats! You should go into wedding photography...we are paying ours a small fortune!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Purest, I will post some of the pics that don't have bairns in them.

    Erin, Buy my plane ticket and I will do it for free...just kidding
    cheers.

    ReplyDelete
  7. nice, you could be a paparazzi now just follow around hot stars all day and get paid.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Bloody hell, this is quite startling! I really hope it goes well for you and you love it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Congrats Baj....hope all goes well and what the hell, why not take chances....you never know what could come of it.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks to all for your support on the new business, now I just need to figure out how to turn the bloody camera on. HELP...........
    Sausage.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks for the mention and the compliments!

    And congrats on the business! Wishing you every success :)

    You need to follow your passion - it makes it easier to get out of bed on dark and miserable days.

    This will make you chuckle - someone once told me they'd read a survey done of people who wanted to become self employed. When asked why, the majority reasons were given they thought they would earn more, work less, and have more time.

    My, how hard we laughed...

    ReplyDelete
  12. Actually, while I'm still here and it occurs to me...

    If your business has a website, do link to it from both your blogs. Google likes blog links and they tend to be worth a bit more in the rankings wars than some other links.

    You might even pick up a bit of business from people who follow the link too :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a bloody coincidence! Well done you to snap it up! Admiration!

    I studied photography at college, even won a little local competition for best amateur print ... so if I can do it - me with my scattered blonde brains - you will excel. You having a man techno brain. Bright future!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I fancy getting a smart camera for my trip(s) to Europe later this year with Edinburgh's finest football team...

    ReplyDelete
  15. Good luck with the venture mate, Ive no been blogging for a month due to being ultra busy at work. As you say, Im just happy to have a job at the moment.

    ReplyDelete
  16. "They Call Me Sausage Fingers" has been included in this weeks Sites To See. I hope you like the image I featured, and I hope this helps to attract many new visitors here.

    http://asthecrackerheadcrumbles.blogspot.com/2011/05/sites-to-see_20.html

    ReplyDelete
  17. Great news! Dreams are coming true!

    I love Kim's site too.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I got a spike in traffic to my site yesterday - it took a while to track down exactly where it was coming from, but it turned out that you recently started following a blog called "guess her muff", and so show up on th "Followers" gadget there. Being called Sausage Fingers, I guess quite a few people clicked on your Follower profile, and my site is at the top of your list of sites you follow. Then, I guess my site being called "Ramblings of the Bearded One" might have felt like it had a different context in the light of "guess my muff"...

    Now this is amusing enough to be worth a blog post in its own right, but I don't want to unnecessarily embarrass anyone, so let me know if you'd feel uncomfortable about being outed as a muff-guesser. For that matter, if this comment suddenly fills you with horror, then feel free to delete it :)

    ReplyDelete